4 July 2018. Today’s reported comments by An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar on the media serves as a timely reminder of the importance of good independent journalism in Irish democracy.
Irish newspapers, national and local, and the journalists who work for them, are the voice of our people, their communities and regions. Support for Irish journalism matters now more than ever.
Newsbrands Ireland Chairman, Vincent Crowley said: “It is important that independent journalism in Ireland is supported as it is in other EU countries. The best way the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and the government could show their support for good Irish journalism is to support a number of measures being sought by the newspaper industry.”
- Reduce VAT – in the next Budget, apply a 5% VAT rate to newspapers and digital products. Ultimately reduce VAT on printed newspapers to 0% as is the case in Britain and other EU countries.
- Defamation – reform our draconian defamation laws urgently
- Minister for the Media – ensure one member of the Cabinet has full oversight of all elements of the media
- Media fund – to drive innovation and investment
- Invest in a training support scheme for journalists
Ireland is currently an outlier within the EU in terms of support for independent journalism, but supportive action now will change that.
Contact: Lisa Buckley, Communications and Marketing Manager, Newsbrands Ireland –email@example.com 087 777 9259